January 20, 2009

Firefox freezes when oping grails.org

I had my first real bad experience with Ubuntu when I was looking at the grails project. The Firfox web browser totally hanged when opened grails.org. I have google around but could not directly find any solution to this problem, but yesterday I found a bug report about it. It is the nvidia graphical drivers that is not working properly. To fix this install a newer nvidia driver:
$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-180-kernel-source nvidia-180-modaliases nvidia-glx-180
This will remove the old drivers:
nvidia-177-kernel-source
nvidia-glx-177
After installation reboot and after login should "Hardware Drivers" dialog appear and prompt you to grant that restricted drivers be used. Select the new nvidia 180 drivers. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-177/+bug/289964

No comments: